//@Cyber Menace@\\

Monday, February 20, 2006

Monday is Back !

Back to work after a hectic weekend ! Ahhh office sucks on Mondays ...
So what have I been up to this weekend? The usual wedding commotions. A very close friend got married this weekend and I was helping his family out with the arrangements and derangements :) Would like to log in my blog (how poetic!) an incident that left me disturbed if not ruffled.
 
This friend of mine had a relative who came in from far flung non descript village. I was handed the onerous task of shuttling him and others to and from a guest house to various ceremonies. As usual got into some inevitable small talk with this uncle. After a while he asked me, "If you don't mind, what is your caste?". Hey hey hey we were going into slippery grounds. I very respectfully told him that I was a Kerelite Christian and we don't have castes in our case. We have been Christians for Lord knows how many generations, so even if we were converts I have no track of my ancestors caste! He somehow couldn't digest this fact! Actually he had seen a Christian in flesh and blood for the first time!
 
The incident left me peeved and irritated at the least. The uncle was however quite felicitous with me considering all the hard work and help I was extending to my friend's family. And the end of the day I hope he learnt that kinship based on caste or religion does not matter, what matters is friendship and human values !
 
 
 
 

3 Comments:

  • hahaha...... "what is your caste"
    That uncle sounds very funny.....i wish i culd meet him.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 AM, February 20, 2006  

  • in a country like ours, you're bound to face such things. i feel you should not take them to heart. (these old people na, i tell you!)it will take a lot of time for these age old mindsets and thinking patterns to change.

    By Blogger another illusion, at 5:25 PM, February 20, 2006  

  • Cyber Menace,
    Usually at marriage ceremonies, the older folks tend to hunt for eligible bachelors.
    After narrowing to specific individual they try and gather more information.
    Maybe that’s what you experienced…

    By Blogger Ammey Kesarkar, at 1:21 AM, February 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home