//@Cyber Menace@\\

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Memoirs Of a Geisha

I finally eneded this novel I was reading today. I don't have much to say except that I liked it very much. The narration is fluid and excellent and scenery it draws in the minds eye of the pre World War II Japan, their rich culture and their exotic dresses called "Kimono" is enchanting. The characters are genuine and you can instantly connect and empathise with the lead protagonist Sayuri.


Borrowing a review from Amazon.com:
"I wasn't born and raised to be a Kyoto geisha....I'm a fisherman's daughter from a little town called Yoroido on the Sea of Japan." How nine-year-old Chiyo, sold with her sister into slavery by their father after their mother's death, becomes Sayuri, the beautiful geisha accomplished in the art of entertaining men, is the focus of this fascinating first novel. Narrating her life story from her elegant suite in the Waldorf Astoria, Sayuri tells of her traumatic arrival at the Nitta okiya (a geisha house), where she endures harsh treatment from Granny and Mother, the greedy owners, and from Hatsumomo, the sadistically cruel head geisha. But Sayuri's chance meeting with the Chairman, who shows her kindness, makes her determined to become a geisha. Under the tutelage of the renowned Mameha, she becomes a leading geisha of the 1930s and 1940s.


 Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • Yes, I hear this is good. I look forward to watching the movie. Dont have the patience to read the book, I am sure it would be a great experience and all that, but just plain lazy.

    The other day I was watching a documentary about a girl training to become a kyoto geisha, by choice. The Kimono and their ornaments cost a fortune. I was amazed by the amount of media coverage she gets on her 'graduation' as kyoto entertainer.

    By Blogger Kaunquest, at 5:12 AM, February 09, 2006  

  • yup... was thinkin to read this book...
    will now definately do it....
    n keep postin bout good books :)
    n spread smile...
    GBU

    By Blogger Manish, at 12:08 PM, February 09, 2006  

  • hum....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM, February 09, 2006  

  • Have read the reviews.. and I guess I'll read it someday..

    By Blogger Twilight Fairy, at 12:48 PM, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home